Altamonte Springs, Fla., April 26, 2019 – The No. 7-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team posted a 5-1 win over No. 14 Carnegie Mellon University in the quarterfinals of the 2019 University Athletic Association (UAA) Men's Tennis Championship Friday in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
WashU won its fourth-straight match and improved to 17-5, while Carnegie Mellon dropped to 8-8. The Bears defeated CMU for the third time this season.
1. #6 Daniel Levine/Chaz Downing (CMUM) def. Konrad Kozlowski/Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) 8-4
2. Ethan Hillis/Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) def. Vayum Arora/Nicholas Calzolano (CMUM) 8-3
3. Luke McClelland/Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHUM) def. Ray Boppana/Josh Pinckney (CMUM) 8-7 (7-3)
1. #6 Ethan Hillis (WASHUM) def. #9 Daniel Levine (CMUM) 6-4, 6-1
2. #32 Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) def. #7 Chaz Downing (CMUM) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Daniel Li (WASHUM) vs. Ray Boppana (CMUM) 1-6, 6-3, 2-0, unfinished
4. Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) vs. Robert Levin (CMUM) 2-6, 6-3, 0-2, unfinished
5. Konrad Kozlowski (WASHUM) def. Clark Safran (CMUM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Koki Takabatake (WASHUM) vs. Sam Gibson (CMUM) 3-6, 5-7, unfinished
• WashU advanced to the UAA semifinals for the 24th-straight year
• The Bears are 8-4 against nationally-ranked teams this season
• Roger Follmer has led the Bears to 17 or more wins in 14 straight seasons
• Kozlowski moved into sole possession of 20th place in all-time wins (109)
• Neves' picked up his 70th career singles win, ninth most in school history
WashU takes on No. 2 seed and No. 3-ranked Emory in the UAA Semifinals Saturday at 12:30 p.m. (ET). Emory defeated WashU a year ago in the semis 5-4.