NCAA BRACKET | BLOOM INTERVIEW
St. Louis, Mo., May 13, 2019 – During the NCAA Division III Baseball Selection Show Monday morning No. 5-ranked Washington University in St. Louis learned it would play regional host to Cornell (Iowa), Coe and Aurora Friday-Sunday, May 17-19 at Kelly Field.
The double elimination tournament will feature two games on Friday, three on Saturday and one or two games on Sunday. The Bears will open the regional against Cornell on Friday at 10 a.m. while Coe and Aurora are scheduled for game two at 1:30 p.m.
St. Louis Regional Schedule
- FRIDAY, MAY 17
- A. 10 am: WashU vs. Cornell
- B. 1:30 pm: Coe vs. Aurora
- SATURDAY, MAY 18
- C. 8:30 am: Non-winner of A vs. Non-winner of B
- D. 12 pm: Winner of A vs. Winner of B
- E. 3:30 pm: Winner of C vs. Non-winner D
- SUNDAY, MAY 19
- F. 11 am: Winner D vs Winner E
- G. 2:30 pm: Rematch of F (If necessary)
One day passes for the NCAA Tournament are $7 for adults and $5 for students/youth, military personnel with valid ID and seniors (62+). Children two and under have free admittance. CASH ONLY ACCEPTED.
WashU (31-5-1, 12-2 University Athletic Association)
- 13th selection to NCAA Tournament in program history: 1982, 1983, 1992, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019.
- 7-21 (.250) all-time in NCAA Tournament.
- WashU has advanced to the NCAA Tournament three of four years under head coach Pat Bloom.
- The Bears .851 winning percentage is the second best winning percentage in WashU history entering the NCAA Tournament. WashU's 2006 team had a 34-7 mark (.872) entering postseason play.
- WashU is hosting the NCAA Regional for the third time in program history (1992, 2006).
- The Bears pitching staff ranks first in Division III in: ERA (1.79), shutouts (10) and WHIP (1.00). WashU is second in strikeout-to-walk ratio (4.58) and fourth in strikeouts per nine innings (9.9).
- 2019 UAA Awards
- John Brinkman – Position Player of the Year
- John Howard – Pitcher of the Year
- Caleb Durbin – Rookie of the Year
Cornell (26-17, 9-7 Midwest Conference)
- First NCAA Tournament Berth.
- 0-0 all-time in NCAA Tournament.
- The Rams rallied in its double elimination conference tournament to beat Ripon for the title with two victories on Saturday, May 11. Cornell first beat Ripon 22-13 to force a winner-take all concluding game which the Rams claimed with an 8-2 defeat of the Red Hawks.
- 2019 Midwest Conference South Awards
- Caleb Wichman – Position Player of the Year
- First Team
- Senior outfielder/pitcher Caleb Wichman
- Junior third baseman Cale Jamesson
- Senior pitcher Sam Kornstad
- First Team
Coe (34-5, 22-2 American Rivers Conference)
- Seventh trip to NCAA Tournament in program history: 1977, 1978, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019.
- 8-12 (.400) all-time in NCAA Tournament.
- Head Coach Steve Cook won his 500th career game earlier this season.
- Their regular season conference championship is the program's first since 2011.
- Kevin DeLaney recently became the program's all-time hits leader. His total currently stands at 227.
- Coe's 34 wins are tied for most in program history with the 2015 team, the last time they made the national tournament.
- Coe is on pace for best team batting average since 1996 with current .333 batting average.
- Team is on pace to shatter team ERA mark for a season since 1996. Current team is at 2.61.
- The Kohawks led all American Rivers Conference team categories in batting average (.333), earned run average (2.61) and fielding percentage (.972).
Aurora (34-9, 18-4 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference)
- 22nd trip to NCAA Tournament: 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2018, 2019.
- 45-44 (.506) all-time in NCAA Tournament.
- In his fifth season at the helm of the Spartans, Adam Stevens led AU to back to back NACC tournament titles. He is 137-79 in his time at AU.
- Senior shortstop Jeff Mayes has an 18 game hit streak entering the NCAA Tournament and with 236 career hits, all-time leader in Aurora history.
- Senior pitcher Nicholas Mathey has 12 saves in 2019, tying the AU single season record.
- 2019 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Awards
- Senior shortstop Jeff Mayes
- Sophomore catcher Jett Wedekind
- Senior relief pitcher Nicholas Mathey
- Junior outfielder AJ Gill
- Senior pitcher Chris Roycroft
- Senior outfielder Davis Purviance